Monday, June 22, 2009

my birthday

so after i left you saturday morning, i hurried and went to the store to pick up steak for dinner. ryan said he would rather cook something than go out to eat. i agreed and have been craving steak, so i told him i'd get the steak if he got the side dishes. i absolutely love the burgundy steak macey's marinades in a vacuum type machine. it pulls the marinade through the meat, tenderizing it as it also flavors it. most delicious! tragically, they didn't have any. so i had one of the meat guys, jerry, pick out two of the best steaks that were out on the shelf. jerry then offered to season them for me. (special seasoning for me for my birthday) it is called montgomery seasoning. which actually turned out to be most scrumptious and ryan jokingly said he might just eat both steaks and not let me have any. they were about a pound each. YUMMY! and i am not a steak person. so anyways.... after i got my special seasoning on my rib eye steaks, i drove up to logan.
don't tell ryan, but i think he forgot what time we said because he texted me an hour before and asked where i was and if i had even left ogden yet. then when my reply was, "i am in the canyon. didn't we say 1?" he answered, "yep. i was just checking to make sure you were coming." i really think he had forgotten...but don't tell him i told you. ;) i arrived at ryan's apartment and he was finishing up cleaning the kitchen. so i helped him. then we talked for a bit waiting for some of his friends to come over. (a nice married couple, chris & amber?) and then the 4 of us went to the 'club house' at the complex. it has a pool table, foosball table, ping pong, air hockey, big screen, tables & chairs, a poker table, and a movie rental machine. ryan whooped me in foosball, but then we got annoyed because the table wasn't put together correctly. so we were going to play pool, but the 8 ball was missing. and then air hockey, but the pucks were so badly beaten that they didn't float across the table. so we finally settled on ping pong.
i am terrible at sports and hand eye coordination things. ryan was very patient with me and explained the main rules of ping pong and how to properly serve. then we played a bit and then the 4 of us played. ryan & i won the first round. then we played girls against guys. um, yeah, the guys won. and sadly chris & amber had to leave. so ryan & i went back to his apartment and watched a few episodes of scrubs before we couldn't handle the noise from our stomachs growling to feed me. so we went to the store (ryan forgot to get side dishes.... oh well) and also bought ice cream....which we forgot to eat because we were both stuffed. and then ryan cooked the steaks on the grill at the 'club house'. he likes his steaks medium rare, so i just had him cook mine the same. i don't really know how i like my steak because i don't really eat steak.
after dinner, we fat dogged for a bit. i totally fell asleep for a while. ryan thought it was cute, but then asked if i really was just going to sleep or if i wanted to play some halo 3. i told him he couldn't laugh at my lack of video game skills. so we (ok really just ryan) played halo 3. he was once again very patient with me and explained how to use the controller and was giving me instructions as well as killing all the bad guys. but hey, i did get my bad guys killed (maybe 10). weirdly enough, the video game started making me a little motion sick, so we turned it off and went down to the hot tub and pool. yes, it was raining, but who cares. you are going to get wet anyway. and we swam and sat for a while until we were both very prune like. don't tell ryan i told you this as well, but he totally forgot that it was my birthday. i'd mentioned it numerous times and even just after i got to his apartment, but he still forgot. it was funny. oh well, he is a boy after all. but he is still very much a gentleman. ryan let me borrow his shower and i got the pool water rinsed off me. then we watched a movie. it was late by this point, so we said goodnight. i won't get to see him for a month....army training at fort lewis. but when he gets back, we are eating the steak i wanted to get originally. but that won't be until the end of july. and that was my wonderful birthday.
now, i have to vent for a second about today... i went to the park to read and enjoy the sunshine. no one was there when i arrived. then little kids started coming and playing. so i got off the swing and sat/laid on a bench. out of no where, this little girl starts yelling at me. "hey you!, hey you in the black!, hey you with the book!, hey you with the ?polka dots?" i ignore her. first because she shouldn't be talking to strangers, let alone yelling "hey you" at them. and secondly because i was just trying to enjoy reading my book outside. so then this other little girl comes over to me and stares at me for a minute. she came a little closer then asked, "are you a girl?" what kind of parents does this little girl have? to let your kid come to the park without you, talk to strangers, and then ask a perfect stranger if she is a girl. so i looked up from my book and answered, "yeah." the little girl then said, "well, that other girl is calling your name." i almost wanted to say, 'my name is not hey you.' but i bit my tongue and went back to reading. but it got me thinking....what if i were not a good person? i could have taken that kid, or done something to that kid and no one there would have even noticed. what has happened to society? why are little kids talking to perfect strangers? where are their parents? anyway, i almost wish i would have asked the little girl to point out her parents or go get her parents to ask why they don't care that their daughter is talking to me or why she has no supervision. honestly people! but i guess that's why i am a good person and would never do anything like that.

No comments: